What is DEXA?
DEXA stands for dual energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA or DXA).
DEXA (DXA) is the most accurate commercial body composition measurement system available to the public. This is the reason why all other measurement devices compare themselves to DEXA’s accuracy and reproducibility. A DEXA scan provides you with individualised body composition information together with a measure of bone density that no other device can achieve. DEXA is the gold standard in testing body composition through out the world and is used regularly in medical research.
Each client has a completely unique body composition, nutrition and exercise profile. This is why each DEXA scan contains an Individual Scan Summary Report that is developed specifically for each patient by a qualified Exercise Physiologist. Due to the large amount of accurate worldwide data on body composition profiles, each scan also contains age and population matched data so you are able to obtain a clear picture of your body composition compared with evidence based reference norms.
From every MeasureUp total body DEXA scan you receive the following information:
- Muscle mass in each region of your body (kg)
- Fat mass in each region of your body (kg)
- Body fat percentage in each region of your body
- Estimation of Visceral Adipose (fat) tissue
- Bone mineral density
- Estimation of Resting metabolic rate (RMR)
- Individual Scan Summary Report that contains macronutrient recommendations, ideal weight recommendations, ideal fat loss recommendations, to help you achieve your health and weight loss goals and improved total body health.
- Graphs that show your body composition data compared to evidence based reference norms.
- Printed and emailed PDF of your report to keep
WE HAVE 2 DEXA BODY COMPOSITION SCANNING APPOINTMENTS
- Recommended for those having a scan for the first time & are not being referred by a professional (e.g. dietician, doctor or personal trainer)
- Total Body DEXA scan
- PLUS extra consultation with our Exercise Physiologist giving a thorough explanation of your scan plus
- PLUS In depth discussion regarding health goals and ideal weight and composition change
- PLUS Macronutrient recommendations and exercise advice
- Best scan for those referred by a professional (e.g. dietician, doctor or personal trainer) or those have previously had a DEXA scan or are part of a challenge
- Total Body DEXA scan
- QUICK discussion of your results highlighting the main points on the report and any changes that have occurred from your previous DEXA scan
- $90 for initial appointment and $80 for return clients.
Not Sure which DEXA scan appointment is right for you? Take our short quiz below to find out
DEXA For Weight Loss
DEXA For Performance
Why use DEXA?
Your total body weight is a combination of different components:
Total body weight =
Fat mass + Fat free mass*
*muscles, water, bones & blood
How can you tell the difference between the different components when looking at the scale?
Just stepping on the scales will not provide you with the differentiation between your fat mass and fat free mass.
If your goal is to lose weight (lose fat mass), increase muscle (lean mass) or both, then it is extremely important that you are aware if you are reaching your goals and accurately benchmark and track changes in your muscle and fat tissue. By measuring your body’s muscle mass, fat mass, and bone mineral density, MeasureUp can determine your total body fat percentage, and changes in regional body composition and show you clearly what is really going on inside your body.
Why use MeasureUp for your DEXA?
MeasureUp has pioneered the use of DEXA in the field of body composition measurement in Australia since 2006. We are the most experienced private organisation in the country in the interpretation of your DEXA scan results. Our staff are accredited exercise physiologists dedicated to delivering individual health assessments and customised advice.
Some of our Clients include, the Wallabies (Australian Rugby Union Squad), Samantha Stosur (Winner US Women’s Open), Cas and Jonesy (Polar Adventurers), NRL Teams (Roosters, Eels, Wests Tigers, Manly & the Bulldogs) and Hugh Jackman, just to name a few.