Recipe of the Month: Jordy’s Gooey Bean Brownies!
Getting back on track with our health and fitness goals doesn’t mean we have to completely cut all sweets from our diet. Why not maintain a little balance and satisfy your sweet tooth with a brownie that is not only gooey and delicious but also packs in 5g protein and 4g fibre per serve? Not only that, but is also less than 170 calories! Enjoy!
- 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed (note this works well with black beans also)
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup (~80g) mini dark chocolate chips
- 3 Tbsp natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp stevia powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan forced.
- Combine all ingredients except 2 Tbsp chocolate chips in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
- Pour batter into a square lined brownie tin.
- Add remaining chocolate chips spreading over the top and gently pressing.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before digging in!
- Brownies best eaten warm as they are delicious and gooey! Heat a piece of brownie in the microwave for 15-20 seconds to warm if eating from the fridge.
- Brownies also freeze really well (especially for those individuals who struggle to stop at just 1!) I recommend freezing 1 or 2 brownies together so you can defrost them as you want to eat them. If freezing multiple brownies together, line a small piece of baking paper between brownies so you can separate them when frozen. Defrost on ‘defrost’ setting in microwave for 30 seconds and enjoy!
Nutrition information relates to one brownie (recipe makes 8)
- Calories: 167kcal
- Protein: 5g
- Total fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Total carbohydrates: 22g
- Dietary Fibre: 4g
- Sugar: 15g