Recipe of the Month: Sweet & Savoury Wholegrain Pomegranate Salad
This beautiful fresh, healthy, fibre-filled salad is the perfect
accompaniment to this year’s Christmas spread. A lovely contrast in flavours and textures will leave your guests want more (as well as your secret recipe!)
For the salad:
- 3⁄4 cup (120g) roasted farro (can be purchased at Harris Farm)
- 3⁄4 cup (135g) raw buckwheat kernels
- 8 Medjool dates, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup (150g) pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 red onion, finely diced
- Seeds of 1 pomegranate
- 100g good quality fresh goats cheese
For the tahini dressing:
- 2 tbs tahini
- 1 1⁄2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- Salt & pepper, to season
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Place farro and 1 cup (250ml) water in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 18 minutes or until all water is absorbed and grains are tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, place buckwheat and 1 cup (250ml) water in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Cover with a lid and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 12 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed and grains are tender. Drain.
- Place drained buckwheat and farro in a bowl. Toss to combine. Set aside to cool. For the tahini dressing, combine the tahini and lemon juice in a bowl to form a paste. While whisking, slowly add 1⁄4 cup (60ml) water. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add olive oil, cumin and 2 tbs dressing to buckwheat and farro, and toss to combine. Fold through dates, pistachios, parsley and onion.
- Scatter pomegranate seeds and goats cheese over the top of the salad and drizzle with remaining dressing to serve.
JORDAN KAIN (APD, MND, EXSPSC)
Dietitian and Exercise Scientist