These Ginger Chicken Power Bowls with Creamy Lime Dressing are perfect for meal prep and easily customizable to be Dairy-Free and Gluten-Free!
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 40 minutes
for the ginger chicken:
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos, tamari, or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 TBSP avocado oil (or high heat oil)
- 1 TBSP ginger paste or freshly grate ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 680g chicken breast (organic if possible)
for the bowls:
- 1 cup uncooked freekeh, quinoa, or rice
- 1 medium head broccoli, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped
- 1/2 TBSP avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt + pepper
- 1 large red capcicum, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 cups packed fresh salad greens (spring mix, romaine, spinach, etc.) or cabbage
for the creamy lime dressing:
- 1/2 cup lite canned coconut milk or plain whole milk yogurt (preferably Greek or Skry)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 TBSP freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 TBSP honey
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- sliced avocado
- freshly cracked black pepper
- sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 190ºC and line baking sheet with parchment paper or foil; set aside.
- Marinate the chicken: In shallow dish combine honey, coconut aminos (or tamari/soy sauce), oil, ginger and garlic. Place chicken in dish flipping over to coat; let marinate for 15-20 minutes or overnight.
- Cook your grains: Meanwhile, cook the grains according to package instructions. I used my Instant Pot for the freekeh and followed these instructions.
- Prep your veggies. Cut broccoli and sweet potatoes; toss them in oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place on lined baking pan and roast for about 20 minutes. Slice red bell pepper and dice red onion; set those aside.
- Cook the chicken. Once the chicken has marinated for about 15 minutes, remove chicken from marinade dish (save the marinade for next step) and place in preheated skillet; cook on medium heat about 4 minutes on each side, or until internal temperature reaches 74ºC. Transfer chicken to cutting board and cool before cutting into chunks.
- Cook down marinade. Pour marinade into skillet and cook on medium-high heat, bringing the marinade to a boil. (Don’t worry! This will kill the bacteria from the raw chicken breast). Whisk marinade for about 1 minute while simmering, until marinade is thick and sticky. Then return cooked/cut chicken to pan and stir to coat; turn off stovetop and let the chicken rest in skillet.
- Make your dressing. Add all of the dressing ingredients to blender/food processor until smooth.
- Assemble the bowls. Place greens, grains, veggies and honey ginger chicken in bowls. Then top with avocado, freshly cracked black pepper, sesame seeds and the creamy lime dressing. Enjoy!
TO MAKE GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure to use quinoa or rice. Use cauliflower rice for a paleo-friendly option.
MEAT-FREE OPTION: Try subbing chicken for tempeh or tofu. I haven’t tried that myself, but I am betting you could marinate and cook the tempeh the same way as the chicken.